Monday, March 16, 2009

Installing IBM Websphere DataStage 8.0.1

Howdy folks, I thought today I would write about my installation of the IBM ETL toolsuite on my server.

IBM Websphere DataStage v8 is the newest version of the IBM ETL toolsuite. DataStage has for years been the leading high performance ETL tool in the market. DataStage was created by Ardent Software in the mid-1990s, Ardent was renamed to Ascential at some point, and Ascential Software was purchased by IBM for a tidy sum in 2004. In 2005, DataStage 7.5 was released as an Ascential product, and version 8 (v8) is the first true IBM release of the suite.

IBM has made a bunch of changes to v8 to integrate it more with their WebSphere web services product and to position DataStage as a software-as-a-service model more than the traditional batch product. For those of us just looking at DataStage as a nightly run process, this is a negative thing. For those trying to integrate DataStage into webpages, real-time data integration, and right-time data warehouse loading, it's a positive thing.

I installed DSv8 for a client on thier machine last year. I've installed DSv7 on Unix machines and Windows as well. I was able to trade a couple hours of database work for an extra server that one of my clients had sitting around, and I feel it was a great trade. The server is a HP pentium itanium 2 gz x 2 processors with 2 GB of ram. It's slow by today's standards, but it is a 2004 model. The worst part is that it doesn't have a DVD drive or USB2.0 which made putting DS on it a lot of fun.

First, I had to start with a fresh O/S wipe. I installed Windows Server 2003 Standard R2. This took about 45 minutes. I then took a couple hours to transfer the DataStage files over from my laptop using an external HD.

For those curious, I purchased a software package from IBM that includes a development license of DataStage v8. It wasn't cheap, and it's not easy to find, but it's there. I wish that IBM would make it easier and the license terms less onerous. I don't have an extra $350k sitting in my software budget.

I used my laptop to read the installation manual instead of printing it out (saving the environment), and it was pretty intense. There are a lot of settings, permissions, users, and environment variables to configure. I then ran the installation package for DS, which installs DB2 9.1 for use as the metadata repository. Once DB2 is installed, the actual DS installation commenced. It ran flawlessly to completion, and took about 75 minutes in all.

Once I had the software set up, I had to start the websphere server. However I still wasn't able to log into DS. Puzzled, I began to research. I discovered I needed to configure the user accounts in the Administrative console, and while it wasn't easy, it wasn't that hard either. There are a lot of screens and options in this area.

I was then able to log into the Designer and create my first ETL package on my home server. I'm still trying to detemine how I will handle my servers, so I'll write more about server management at some other time.

For now, happy coding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

metadata repository disabled in my istallation only client is enabled give solution n.srinivas.mca.bsc@gmail.com