Thursday, September 29, 2011

Windows Phone 7.5 - A Year in the Making

Readers will recall that last year I was excited about getting the Windows Phone 7.5. I even recall Nov 8, 2010 when the phone first went on sale - I awoke in a Marriott in downtown Durham, NC, and after a hectic day made a trip to the AT&T store, only to find that they were sold out of the Samsung Focus which I had decided on. Patience was painful but worthwhile, as a black Friday sale at the local Microsoft store yielded a free-after-contract LG Quantum. It's been a full 10 months since that fateful day and I'm no less pleased with Windows Phone.

Yesterday I was able to upgrade to Windows Phone 7.5. This is the first phone I've owned in almost 10 years that I am completely happy with. The hardware is great (LG), and the camera is excellent. Matter of fact, I don't carry a camera anymore as this one takes excellent pictures. The ability to sync with Zune keeps my podcasts up to date and the phone functions as a de-facto iPod. Except that its' better. I haven't really noticed much with Mango yet except that the colors are more vibrant and texts/emails have a different style to them.

For those who are contemplating a business device but want to stay in the Windows ecosystem, I highly encourage you to check out a WP7 device. I have been asked about it multiple times in my travels and try to spend a few seconds showing the device in a positive light. I am also asked quite a bit about my Amazon Kindle. Did I mention the WP7 apps, there are plenty of apps for many items but I still prefer to use a mobile browser when possible.

Suffice it to say that I'm incredibly excited about Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, and Windows Server 8. The combination O/S, phone, server, and tablet should be the perfect quad of devices. I'm not a Windows fanboy but it's hard to argue that any ecosystem is better in the dual, and often shared realms of business and pleasure.

I'd enjoy hearing any comments about the Windows Phone experiences you have.

1 comment:

kevin said...

Suffice it to say that I'm fantastically energized in regards to Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, and Windows Server 8 MS Dynamics AX 2012